Our institution has been established in 1974. At the present day it is still the largest public school in Neamt County NE Romania (approx. 1500 students and 80 staff members).
Second Chance Program is an alternative continuation and completion of compulsory education for people who, for various reasons, have failed to and which currently exceed the legal age to be integrated within the standard schooling system.
The program has been developed within the framework of the grant scheme PHARE 2005 (applied from September 2005) by the The Ministry of Education in Romania. In 2008 our institution welcomed its first Second Chance students.
During the last school year we had 53 Second Chance students (Level 1- Primary and Level 2- Lower Secondary).
The number of students varies from year to year according to the demands and each student's educational route (which is flexible according to some variables such as: the number of years of education already completed, demonstrated informally gained skills and current performances). However, we observed and increasing trend during the last years.
Main characteristics of the Second Chance program:
- Modular Structure: the disciplines are organized in learning modules
- Schedule Flexibility: according to the needs of the learners, classes can be held in the evening or during week-ends
- Bi-annual frequency of open enrolments and course start dates (February and October)
- Use of the latest and newest learning methods, practice-based, adapted to the age group of the participants
- Small work groups (8-15 learners)
- Tailor-made curriculum and guides for each discipline and level
- Flexible length of schooling for a student (according to each student’s performances)
Our teachers attended special training courses organized by The Teachers Training Institute and agreed by the Ministry of Education at the moment the program has been established and also other Lifelong Learning/continuous development trainings.
We are open minded and ready to take part in any activity that may improve the quality of our Second Chance Education services.